Frequently Asked Questions of 1G and 10G Optical Transceiver
Edward Jan 16, 2023
During the use of 1G/10G optical modules, customers often ask various questions. This article lists the 10 most common questions. Let’s take a look.
- Can multi-mode SRs and single-mode LRs be interconnected?
No, it can’t. The wavelengths of SR and LR modules are inconsistent, SR is 850nm, LR is 1310nm, so they cannot be interconnected. It is recommended to use the same type of modules for direct connection at both ends.
- What rates can the SFP-10G-T module support?
The module supports three rates of 100M/1G/10Gbps. If there are device port limitations, only a subset of speeds can be supported. If the device port only supports 100M/1G rate, then the module can only be used at 100M/1G rate.
- Can 10G-T modules be interconnected with 10G SR modules?
No, it can’t. The port of the 10G-T module is an RJ45 port, which is used with a network cable to transmit electrical signals; the port of the 10G SR module is LC duplex, which is used with a multi-mode LC duplex jumper to transmit optical signals. It is recommended to use the same type of module at both ends.
- Can the 10G SR module be used with OM1/OM2 jumpers, and what is the longest transmission distance?
Yes, the maximum transmission distance is 33m with OM1, the maximum transmission distance is 82m with OM2, the maximum transmission distance is 300m with OM3, and the maximum transmission distance is 400m with OM4.
- G EX 1550nm 40KM module near-end connection, need to add attenuation?
Attenuation is required, and it is recommended to add 10dB attenuation for short-distance connections.
- What is the difference between the combined wavelength of 1310nm/1490nm and the combined wavelength of 1490nm/1550nm of the 1G BD module?
The combined wavelength application range of 1310nm/1490nm can be used for long-distance transmission with a GE rate of 40KM or below, and the combined wavelength of 1490nm/1550nm can be used for long-distance transmission with a GE rate of 80KM or above.
- What is the jumper used with the 1G BD module?
The module is used with single-mode simplex (SMF Simplex) patch cords.
- The 1G module interface is usually LC interface, can it be made into SC interface?
The size of the SC interface is larger than that of the LC interface. If it is a module with a duplex interface, such as an SX or LX module, the interface size cannot meet the size of the two SC interfaces, so it cannot be realized; if it is a 1G BD module with a simplex interface, then it can be made into a SC interface.
- What is the maximum transmission distance of 10G DAC?
10G DAC active can provide up to 10m (active), passive can provide up to 7m (passive).
- Can 10G SFP+ LR 10KM module and 10G XFP LR 10KM module be interconnected?
It can be interconnected, just use a single-mode LC duplex jumper to connect.